Click on a Page for More Details

Thursday, April 19, 2012

2. Magical Realism Wrap-Up Vocab. 10

Salvador Dali's "Melting Clocks" represents Magical Realism because the clocks are very real, however, just as time melts away, in this picture, the clock is literally melting.

Review for your Quiz tomorrow on Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "The Handsomest Drowned Man in the World."






1. Magical Realism - n. a style /genre in painting or literature where fantastic elements blend into the real world.
2. hypothesize - v. making an informed guess
3. bountiful - adj. abundant and ample
4. labyrinths - n. complicated network or paths that are difficult to follow; mazes
5. haggard - adj. torn up, ragged
6. resistant - adj. tough, strong, defiant
7. destitute - adj. needy, desperate
8. virile - adj. manly, fertile, characterized by strength
9. resign - v. quit
10. obliging - adj. kind

Comment with one of your sentences or a brief summary of the Garcia Marquez story.

12 comments:

  1. The Handsomest drowned man in the world is a example of magical realism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Resign: My mom got so fed up with her job so she decided to resign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food was bountiful in the small village.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The man was resistant to the torture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a dream of a virile man rescuing me and carrying me off from the deadly dragon .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hypothesize that my day will begin really good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The castle had labyrinths in order for the right knight to save the princess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This years harvest was bountiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Destitvte- i really hate to see people that is very destitvte

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yesterday, I saw a very destitude man wandering the streets longing for food, love, and shelter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. While reading Magical Realism literature, I found it hard to hypothesize how the story, which was so bountiful with detail, could cause me to feel lost in a labyrinth in my head. I expected Magical Realism to have more haggard, destitute characters, who resist the modern world. I had a more Anne Rice outlook on it, rather than a twilight image of virile vampires. I obligingly resign my old, naive conclusion easily.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment must be school appropriate and on task, or it will be deleted.